If you’re an Indian citizen and planning an international flight with a layover in Abu Dhabi, you will need a transit visa. This visa is mandatory for all Indian passport holders who wish to enter, leave or transit through the UAE. In this guide, we will cover all aspects of obtaining an Abu Dhabi Transit visa for Indian citizens.
Eligibility Criteria and Required Documents
Before applying, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary documents to obtain a transit visa. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The Indian passport must be valid and should not expire within the next six months from the date of travel.
- The layover should be for a maximum of 96 hours (4 days) and the final destination should be outside the UAE.
- If your layover duration exceeds 8 hours, you must have confirmed onward flight tickets to your final destination.
The documents required for the visa application are:
- A copy of the passport’s front and back pages, as well as the main page, with a clear photograph.
- A passport-sized photograph of the applicant.
- Confirmed flight tickets with layover details.
- A confirmed hotel booking for the layover duration, if applicable.
Steps to Apply for an Abu Dhabi Transit Visa
Follow these simple steps to apply for an Abu Dhabi transit visa for Indian citizens:
- Visit the official website of the UAE embassy and consulate.
- Fill out the visa application form online with all the necessary details.
- Upload your documents, including a copy of the passport and a passport-sized photograph.
- Pay the visa fee using a valid credit or debit card.
- Submit the application form.
Visa Processing Time and Fee
Visa processing time usually takes around 3 to 4 business days. However, in some cases, you may receive your visa within 24 hours.
The visa fee is AED 300, which is roughly equivalent to INR 6000.
Tips to Make the Visa Application Process Smoother
Here are some tips to help you navigate the visa application process smoothly:
- Apply for the transit visa at least two weeks in advance to avoid any last-minute issues.
- Make sure all your documents are clear, complete and legible.
- Double-check all the information you have provided in the application form before submitting it.
- Keep a copy of the visa receipt and your application for future reference.
Recommended Activities and Places to Visit During the Layover
Abu Dhabi is a beautiful city with many exciting places to explore. If you have a layover that is more than a few hours, here are some recommended activities and places to visit:
- Visit the majestic Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
- Explore the world-famous Ferrari World amusement park.
- Take a stroll along the beautiful Corniche waterfront.
- Shop till you drop at the Marina Mall.
- Witness the glitz and glamour of the Emirates Palace Hotel.
Obtaining an Abu Dhabi transit visa for Indian citizens is a straightforward process, as long as you meet the eligibility criteria and have all the necessary documents. Make sure you apply for the visa well in advance and follow the tips provided in this guide to make the process smoother. And if you have a few hours to spare during your layover, make sure to explore the beautiful sights and sounds of Abu Dhabi.
1. How long can I stay in Abu Dhabi with a transit visa?
You can stay in Abu Dhabi for a maximum of 96 hours (4 days) if you have a transit visa. After that, you must leave the UAE.
2. Can I leave the airport with a transit visa?
Yes, you can leave the airport and explore Abu Dhabi with a transit visa. However, make sure you have all the necessary documents, including confirmed flight tickets and hotel bookings, before you leave the airport.
3. What happens if I overstay my transit visa in Abu Dhabi?
Overstaying your transit visa in Abu Dhabi can lead to penalties, fines or even deportation. It is critical to stick to the conditions of your visa and leave the UAE before the visa expires.