If you’re an Indian national looking to immigrate to the United States, the EB-2 visa may be an excellent option for you. The EB-2 visa is intended for people with advanced degrees or exceptional skills in their field. However, the application process can be a lengthy and complicated one, especially when it comes to processing times. Here is everything you need to know about the EB-2 visa processing time in India.
- The EB-2 visa processing time in India varies based on several factors such as the individual’s qualifications, the caseload of the USCIS, etc.
- While the estimated processing time for an EB-2 visa can differ based on your circumstances, it typically takes 6 months to 1 year to process your application from start to finish.
- Applicants must meet certain eligibility criteria, including having an advanced degree or exceptional skills in their field that make them stand out.
- EB-2 visa applicants must complete and submit several documents, including a labor certification, a petition to USCIS, and an application for the visa itself.
EB-2 Visa Processing Time in India: Factors That Can Affect Processing Time
Numerous factors impact the EB-2 visa processing time in India. Therefore it would be challenging to estimate accurately for every individual’s circumstances. However, below are some of the factors that may impact the processing of your EB-2 visa application:
The first and foremost thing that impacts an individual’s processing time is their qualifications. If you have an advanced degree, exceptional skills, or any other qualification related to the EB-2 visa, it can help your application process move faster.
The number of EB-2 visa applications received by USCIS each year also affects processing times. More applications mean more time required for processing.
Consulate appointment availability:
The availability of an appointment slot for an interview at the US consulate in India can also be a factor that affects processing times. The more applicants applying for the EB-2 visa, the longer the waiting time for an interview appointment.
RFE or Audit:
Sometimes, candidates receive a request for evidence from the USCIS, which can lead to delays. If a case is audited, it will likely undergo additional reviews, which can take even longer.
Eligibility Criteria for EB-2 Visa
To apply for an EB-2 visa, individuals must meet certain eligibility criteria. The following are the primary qualifications they should possess:
- An advanced degree or equivalent
- An exceptional ability in fields such as science, art, education, business or athletics, or
- A combination of an undergraduate degree and at least five years of work experience that is progressional.
Moreover, for qualifying the exceptional ability category, applicants must provide documentary evidence of at least three of the following:
- National or international recognition of their achievements.
- At least ten years of full-time experience related to their field.
- A license to practice their profession or certification for their skills.
- A high salary in comparison to others in their field.
- Membership in a professional association.
Required Documents for EB-2 Visa
Applicants for the EB-2 visa need to prepare several documents for the process. The following documents are essential:
- Labor certification
- Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker
- Form DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa Application
- Passport valid for travel to the US
- Two 2×2 inch photographs
- Copies of any relevant diplomas, degrees or certificates
- Evidence of work experience and accomplishments
Q1. What is the processing time for an EB-2 visa from India?
The EB-2 visa processing time varies based on various factors like your individual circumstances, USCIS’s caseload, etc. A typical processing time for an EB-2 visa may take around six months to one year, but this is subject to each applicant’s circumstances.
Q2. Can I expedite my EB-2 visa processing time?
You can upgrade your application to premium processing by paying an additional fee. This will reduce the processing time of the visa application to around 15 business days.
Q3. Can my spouse/children accompany me to the US on an EB-2 visa?
Spouses and children under the age of 21 of EB-2 visa holders are qualified to immigrate to the US as dependents.
In conclusion, while understanding the EB-2 visa processing time may seem complicated, adhering to eligibility criteria and submitting all necessary documents in the correct order can help ensure the process goes smoothly. Remember to be patient and seek the assistance of an immigration attorney or other immigration professionals if needed.