F1 Visa Nursing Students Guide: How to Study and Work in the USA

Are you looking for an opportunity to further your nursing career in the United States? Getting an F1 visa could be your best bet.

The F1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa that allows international students to enter the United States as full-time students at an accredited college, university or seminary. As an F1 visa holder, you’ll have the opportunity to work part-time on-campus jobs (up to 20 hours per week) while pursuing your nursing degree.

In this guide, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about studying and working in the USA as an F1 visa nursing student.

Key Takeaways

  • The F1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa that allows international students to study in the USA.
  • F1 visa nursing students have the opportunity to work part-time on-campus jobs while pursuing their degree.
  • To apply for an F1 visa, you need to be accepted into an accredited nursing program in the United States.
  • You’ll need to provide evidence of financial support to cover your tuition, fees, and living expenses.
  • Maintaining full-time enrollment is essential to keep your F1 visa status.

How to Apply for an F1 Visa Nursing Program

To apply for an F1 visa nursing program in the United States, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Research accredited nursing programs in the USA that accept international students. You can check with the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) to verify if a program is accredited or not.

  2. Contact the nursing school’s international student office to know their requirements for international applicants

  3. Submit your application along with supporting documents such as transcripts, test scores, essay, and recommendation letters.

  4. If accepted, the nursing school will issue an I-20, which is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. You’ll need this I-20 form to apply for your F1 visa.

  5. Pay the SEVIS fee and schedule an interview at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

  6. Attend the visa interview with all the necessary supporting documents and give a satisfactory response to visa officers.

  7. If approved, you’ll be issued an F1 visa, which allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student.

See also  L2 Visa Job Opportunities: Your Ticket to Living and Working in the United States

How to Work as an F1 Visa Nursing Student

As an F1 visa nursing student, you have the opportunity to work part-time on-campus jobs (up to 20 hours per week) during academic sessions and full-time on-campus jobs during vacation periods.

The employment must be related to your course of study, and you’ll need to get permission from the international student office before beginning any job.

Working off-campus, including internships or volunteering, is strictly prohibited unless authorized by the international student office.

Tips to Maintain F1 Visa Status

It’s essential to maintain your F1 visa status while studying and working in the United States. Here are some tips to help you achieve that:

  • Keep your passport and visa documents valid and updated.

  • Attend your classes regularly and maintain a full-time course load.

  • Notify the international student office if you decide to transfer to another school.

  • Report any changes in your name, address, or contact information to the international student office.

  • Renew your I-20 form if any changes are made to your academic program.

  • Follow the regulations related to on-campus employment and avoid working off-campus without authorization.


Q: How long can I stay in the USA on an F1 visa?

A: You can stay in the USA on an F1 visa for the duration of your academic program plus an additional 60 days after the completion of your program.

Q: Can I apply for an F1 visa if I’m already in the USA on a different visa?

A: Yes, you can apply for an F1 visa while in the United States on another visa. However, you need to ensure that you’re eligible for a change of status.

See also  The Ultimate Guide to Iran Passports: Everything You Need to Know

Q: Can F1 visa nursing students work after graduation?

A: Yes, F1 visa nursing students can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after graduation. OPT allows international students to work in the USA for up to 12 months in a job related to their course of study.

In conclusion, getting an F1 visa as a nursing student can be a life-changing opportunity. With this guide, you have all the necessary information to help you apply for an F1 visa and maintain your status while studying and working in the USA.

About the Author

Latasha W. Bolt

Latasha is a travel writer based in Atlanta, Georgia. She has a degree in journalism and has been traveling the world since she was a teenager. Latasha is experienced in navigating the visa and passport application process and shares her knowledge and experiences on the blog. Her articles are personal and engaging, providing readers with a unique perspective on the joys and challenges of international travel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *