F1 Visa Part-Time Jobs: A Comprehensive Guide

Are you an international student studying in the United States with an F1 visa? Are you looking to earn some extra money while studying? If the answer is yes to both questions, then this comprehensive guide on F1 visa part-time jobs is for you.

Legal Requirements for F1 Visa Part-Time Jobs

As an international student on F1 visa, you are allowed to work part-time on-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. During official school breaks, such as winter and summer breaks, you can work full-time on-campus. However, you must have a valid F1 visa and be enrolled in a full-time academic program to be eligible to work.

Off-campus employment is also possible, but it requires authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). There are two types of off-campus work authorization available to F1 visa students:

  1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is for off-campus employment that is an integral part of an established curriculum. To be eligible for CPT, you must have been a full-time student for one academic year before the start of the employment and have an offer of employment directly related to your major field of study. You must also receive academic credit for the employment.

  1. Optional Practical Training (OPT)
See also  How Many Months of Bank Statement are Required for Canada Student Visa?

OPT is for off-campus employment that is related to your major field of study. You can apply for OPT up to 90 days before you complete your academic program, and you can work for up to 12 months. If you are studying in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics), you may be eligible for a 24-month extension of your OPT.

Part-Time Job Opportunities for F1 Visa Students

F1 visa students can find part-time job opportunities both on-campus and off-campus. On-campus jobs are readily available, and you can find them by checking your school’s job board or visiting your school’s career center. Examples of on-campus jobs are:

  • Library assistant
  • Research assistant
  • Tutor
  • Gym attendant
  • Cafeteria worker

Off-campus jobs can be found on various job boards and websites such as Indeed, Monster, and LinkedIn. However, you must first obtain the necessary work authorization before you can apply for an off-campus job. Some popular off-campus job opportunities for F1 visa students are:

  • Internship
  • Freelance work
  • Work-study programs
  • Part-time jobs in local businesses

Restrictions on F1 Visa Part-Time Jobs

While working part-time can help F1 visa students earn some extra money, there are some restrictions that you should be aware of. These restrictions are:

  • Hourly Limit: F1 visa students are only allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. If you work more than 20 hours, you risk losing your F1 visa status.
  • Unrelated Jobs: F1 visa students can only work in jobs related to their major field of study. If you work in an unrelated job, you risk losing your F1 visa status.
  • Unapproved Employment: F1 visa students can only work in jobs that have been approved by USCIS. If you work in an unapproved job, you risk losing your F1 visa status.
See also  Sweden Student Visa with Spouse: A Comprehensive Guide

Tips on Securing Part-Time Jobs for F1 Visa Students

Finding a part-time job can be challenging, especially for F1 visa students who are new to the US job market. Here are some tips that can help you secure a part-time job:

  • Start Early: Begin your job search early to increase your chances of finding a suitable job. Some employers may require a background check or other forms of screening, which can take time.
  • Network: Attend job fairs, career events, and seminars to meet potential employers and learn about available opportunities.
  • Polish Your Resume: Your resume is your marketing tool, so make sure it is well-written and showcases your skills and experience.
  • Be Persistent: Finding a job can be challenging, but don’t give up. Keep applying and networking until you land a job.


F1 visa students can work part-time on-campus or off-campus, with the necessary work authorization. On-campus jobs are readily available, and some popular off-campus job opportunities are internships, freelance work, and work-study programs. However, F1 visa students should be aware of the restrictions on working hours, the types of jobs they can work in and the need for prior authorization. By following the tips above, F1 visa students can increase their chances of securing a part-time job while studying in the United States.


1. Can F1 visa students work full-time while on break from school?

Yes, F1 visa students can work full-time on-campus during official school breaks, such as winter and summer breaks.

2. Can F1 visa students work off-campus without authorization?

No, F1 visa students must have authorization from USCIS to work off-campus.

See also  VAC Meaning in Visa: What is it and Why is it Important?

3. How long does it take to get work authorization from USCIS?

The processing time for work authorization from USCIS varies. It is advisable to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time for processing.

About the Author

Latasha W. Bolt

Latasha is a travel writer based in Atlanta, Georgia. She has a degree in journalism and has been traveling the world since she was a teenager. Latasha is experienced in navigating the visa and passport application process and shares her knowledge and experiences on the blog. Her articles are personal and engaging, providing readers with a unique perspective on the joys and challenges of international travel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *