If you’re an H-4 visa holder in the US, you may be wondering whether you can obtain a Social Security number (SSN) and how it may benefit you. In this article, we’ll explore what an H-4 visa is, who is eligible, how to obtain an SSN, and how it can benefit you.
What is an H-4 Visa?
An H-4 visa is a dependent visa that allows immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years old) of H-1B visa holders to enter the US and stay legally with their family member. H-1B visas are issued to foreign workers in the US that specialize in a specific field or occupation.
Who is Eligible for an H-4 Visa SSN?
Not all H-4 visa holders are eligible for an SSN. Only those who are authorized to work within the US are eligible for an SSN. If you’re an H-4 holder, you can be authorized to work if your H-1B spouse has an approved I-140, a labor certification, or if they’ve been in the US for more than six years in H-1B status and have a pending green card application.
How to Obtain an H-4 Visa SSN?
To obtain an H-4 visa SSN, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Complete Form SS-5: Application for a Social Security Card
- Collect the required documents: your H-4 visa, I-94 arrival/departure record, your passport or other ID, and proof of eligibility, such as an EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) or an H-1B approval notice.
- Submit the form and documents by mail or in person to your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
The SSA will verify your documentation and issue you an SSN. The processing time can take up to two weeks.
Benefits of Having an H-4 Visa SSN
Having an H-4 visa SSN can benefit you in many ways, including:
- Establishing credit history in the US
- Opening a bank account
- Obtaining a driver’s license
- Applying for loans, credit cards or other financial services
- Filing taxes
- An H-4 visa is a dependent visa that allows immediate family members of H-1B visa holders to stay legally in the US.
- Only H-4 visa holders who are authorized to work within the US are eligible for an SSN.
- To apply for an H-4 visa SSN, complete the SS-5 form and provide the required documents at your local SSA office.
- Having an H-4 visa SSN can help you establish credit history, open a bank account, obtain a driver’s license, apply for loans, credit cards or other financial services, and file taxes.
Obtaining an H-4 visa Social Security number can provide numerous benefits to eligible H-4 visa holders. If you’re thinking about obtaining an SSN, it’s important to understand the eligibility requirements and how to apply. By following the steps mentioned in this article, you can obtain your H-4 visa SSN and take advantage of the opportunities it provides.
Can all H-4 visa holders obtain an SSN?
No, only H-4 visa holders who are authorized to work within the US are eligible for an SSN.
What documents do I need to apply for an H-4 visa SSN?
You’ll need your H-4 visa, I-94 arrival/departure record, your passport or other ID, proof of eligibility, such as an EAD card or an H-1B approval notice, and a completed form SS-5.
How long does it take to receive an H-4 visa SSN?
The processing time for an H-4 visa SSN can take up to two weeks.