Applying for a Canadian visa can seem daunting, with many steps and requirements to navigate. One important step in the process is the biometric test, which collects your fingerprints and photograph to include in your visa application. But once the biometric test is completed, how long does it typically take to receive a response on your visa status? In this guide, we break down the timeline and factors that impact getting a visa after biometric in Canada.
What Happens After a Biometric Test is Taken for a Canadian Visa Application?
Once you have completed your biometric test, your fingerprints and photograph will be added to your visa application. This will then be sent for processing to the Canadian government’s immigration office. From there, a visa officer will review your application, along with any additional documents you submitted.
How Long Does it Typically Take to Receive a Response?
The processing time for a visa application after your biometric test can range from a few weeks to several months, depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the volume of applications being processed at the time. Currently, processing times for biometric visas for visitors or students can take up to 8 weeks or more, while those for permanent residence can take up to a year or more.
What Factors Impact the Timeline?
Several factors can impact the timeline for getting a visa after biometric in Canada:
- The type of visa – some visa types may require additional processing, which can prolong the timeline for visa issuance.
- The volume of applications being processed at the time – if there is a surge in visa applications, this can impact the processing time for all applications.
- Whether the application was submitted online or in person – applying online can generally result in faster processing times than applying in person.
How to Check the Status of a Visa Application, and What to Do If There Are Delays or Issues
If you want to check the status of your visa application, there are a few ways to do so. You can use the online tool provided by the Canadian government’s immigration office, which allows you to check your application status by entering your application number. Alternatively, you can check the status by contacting a Canadian visa application centre or through the VFS Global website.
If you experience delays or issues with your visa application after biometric in Canada, there are several steps you can take. It is recommended to first check the status of your application through the tools mentioned above. If there is an issue, you may need to provide additional documentation or information to the visa office. If you believe there has been an error or misunderstanding related to your application, you may need to reach out to your local embassy or consul for assistance.
Common Mistakes That Can Lead to Delays, and How to Avoid Them
To help ensure a smoother process for getting a visa after biometric in Canada, it’s important to avoid any common mistakes that can lead to delays or issues. Some of the most common mistakes to avoid include:
- Incomplete or incorrect applications – make sure all fields are completed accurately and all necessary documentation is included.
- Not submitting all required documentation – make sure to check the requirements for your specific visa type and submit all necessary documentation.
- Failing to disclose relevant information – be transparent about any previous immigration issues or criminal history.
- Applying too close to your intended travel date – give yourself plenty of time to apply and receive your visa before making travel arrangements.
Taking the time to ensure your application is complete and accurate can help avoid delays and issues in getting your visa after biometric in Canada.
1. What happens during a biometric test for a Canadian visa application?
During a biometric test, your fingerprints and photograph will be collected to include in your visa application.
2. How long does it take to get a Canadian visa after a biometric test?
The processing time for a Canadian visa application after a biometric test can range from a few weeks to several months, depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the volume of applications being processed at the time.
3. Can I check the status of my Canadian visa application after a biometric test?
Yes, you can check the status of your Canadian visa application after a biometric test using the online tool provided by the Canadian government’s immigration office, the Canadian visa application centre, or through the VFS Global website.
4. What are common mistakes that can lead to delays in getting a Canadian visa after a biometric test?
Some common mistakes to avoid include incomplete or incorrect applications, not submitting all required documentation, failing to disclose relevant information, and applying too close to your intended travel date.