If you’re planning to take your US-born child to India, you’ll need to apply for an Indian visa. While the process can be overwhelming and confusing, this guide will walk you through everything you need to know to obtain an Indian visa for your US-born child.
- A US-born child needs an Indian visa to travel to India.
- The application process is straightforward, but you will need to provide a few documents.
- Processing time varies depending on the type of visa you choose.
- Children under the age of 18 require the consent of both parents to obtain an Indian visa.
- The Indian visa application fee is non-refundable, even if the visa is not approved.
Before you start the application process, you’ll need to gather a few documents:
- A clear photocopy of the child’s birth certificate
- A clear photocopy of the child’s US passport
- A clear photocopy of the parents’ passports
- A recent passport-sized photo of the child
- A signed copy of the parent’s passport information page
Additionally, if the child is traveling without both parents, you’ll need to provide a letter of consent from the absent parent.
- Start by visiting the Indian visa application website and selecting the appropriate visa type for your child.
- Complete the online application form and upload the required documents.
- Pay the application fee using a credit or debit card.
- Schedule an appointment at your nearest Indian consulate or embassy for a biometric fingerprint and photograph.
- Attend the appointment with all required documents and fees.
- Wait for the visa to be processed and mailed to you.
As of 2021, the Indian visa application fee for US citizens is $160 for a tourist visa or a business visa. If you need a faster processing time or are applying for a different type of visa, fees will vary. Additionally, some visa processing centers may charge additional service fees.
Processing times for Indian visas vary from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the type of visa you choose. For an additional fee, you can expedite the visa process. Make sure to apply with plenty of time before your intended travel date.
What is the correct visa type for my child?
The specific type of visa needed for your child will depend on the purpose and length of the trip. Most US-born children traveling to India will require a tourist visa or a business visa.
Can a child apply for an Indian visa without the consent of both parents?
No, a child under the age of 18 must have the consent of both parents to apply for an Indian visa. If one parent is absent or unable to provide consent, a notarized letter from the absent parent will need to be provided.
Is the Indian visa application fee refundable?
No, the Indian visa application fee is non-refundable, even if the visa is not approved.
Can I track the status of my child’s visa application?
Yes, you can track the status of your child’s visa application using the Indian visa application website.
How long is the Indian visa valid for?
The validity of the Indian visa will vary depending on the type of visa and the purpose of the child’s travel. Typically, tourist visas are valid for six months to one year, and business visas are valid for one year.
Can I extend my child’s Indian visa?
It is possible to extend some types of Indian visas, but the process can be complicated. Make sure to apply for the appropriate visa type and validity to avoid any issues with extension.