If you’re planning to work, study, or live in New Zealand, then the Silver Fern Visa might be just what you need. This visa is designed for people aged between 20 and 35 who are looking to develop their career or education in New Zealand. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Silver Fern Visa, from the requirements and benefits to the application process and terms and conditions.
- The Silver Fern Visa is designed for individuals aged between 20 and 35 who want to work, study, or live in New Zealand.
- To qualify for the visa, you’ll need to meet a range of eligibility criteria and provide various documents.
- Some of the key benefits of the visa include the ability to work and live in New Zealand for up to two years, the chance to gain valuable work experience, and the opportunity to study with no restrictions on the course or level of education.
- The application process involves several steps, including submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI), being invited to apply, and providing various documents and evidence of your eligibility.
- There are some important terms and conditions to bear in mind if you are granted a Silver Fern Visa, such as the need to adhere to New Zealand’s laws and regulations, and the importance of maintaining health and good character.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the Silver Fern Visa and what you need to know.
What is the Silver Fern Visa?
The Silver Fern Visa is a special type of visa that allows individuals aged between 20 and 35 to work, study, or live in New Zealand for up to two years. This visa was designed to help young people gain valuable experience and skills, and to contribute to the New Zealand economy.
The visa is divided into two categories: the Silver Fern Job Search Visa and the Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa. The former is designed for people who want to travel to New Zealand to look for work, while the latter is aimed at those who have already secured employment in the country.
How to Qualify for the Silver Fern Visa
To qualify for the Silver Fern Visa, you’ll need to meet a range of eligibility criteria. These include:
- Being aged between 20 and 35
- Having a minimum of NZD $4,200 in your bank account
- Having a minimum of NZD $350 per month for your living costs
- Having medical and travel insurance for the duration of your stay in New Zealand
- Meeting health and character requirements
- Having a recognized qualification or equivalent work experience
- Having a job offer or having secured a job in New Zealand
It’s important to note that meeting these criteria doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be granted a Silver Fern Visa. Your application will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, and various other factors will be taken into account, such as demand for the visa and the availability of places.
Benefits of the Silver Fern Visa
The Silver Fern Visa comes with a range of benefits. Some of the key advantages of this visa include:
- The ability to work and live in New Zealand for up to two years
- The opportunity to gain valuable work experience and develop your skills
- The ability to study with no restrictions on the course or level of education
- The chance to explore New Zealand and experience the country’s culture and way of life
- The possibility of applying for permanent residency after meeting certain conditions
How to Apply for the Silver Fern Visa
The application process for the Silver Fern Visa is relatively straightforward, but there are several steps involved. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Immigration New Zealand website.
- Wait for an invitation to apply. This may take several weeks or months, depending on demand for the visa.
- Once you receive an invitation to apply, complete the application form and provide all the necessary documents and evidence of your eligibility.
- Pay the fee (currently NZD $475 for the Silver Fern Job Search Visa and NZD $2,500 for the Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa).
- Wait for a decision on your application. This may take several weeks or months.
Terms and Conditions of the Silver Fern Visa
If you are granted a Silver Fern Visa, there are several terms and conditions that you’ll need to bear in mind. These include:
- Adhering to New Zealand’s laws and regulations
- Maintaining good health and character
- Only working for a maximum of 12 months in any one job (for the Silver Fern Job Search Visa)
- Staying with your employer for a minimum of three months (for the Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa)
- Ensuring that your work is relevant to your qualification or work experience
- Leaving New Zealand at the end of your visa, unless you are granted another type of visa or have applied for permanent residency
The Silver Fern Visa is an excellent opportunity for young people who want to work, study, or live in New Zealand. By meeting the eligibility criteria and following the application process, you could be granted a visa that allows you to stay in the country for up to two years.
However, it’s important to bear in mind the terms and conditions of the visa, and ensure that you follow all the rules and regulations. By doing so, you can make the most of your time in New Zealand and gain valuable experience and skills that will benefit you throughout your career.
Q: Can I extend my Silver Fern Visa?
A: No, it is not possible to extend your Silver Fern Visa. However, you may be able to apply for another type of visa, such as a work visa or student visa.
Q: Is there a limit to the number of Silver Fern Visas that are granted?
A: Yes, there is a limit to the number of Silver Fern Visas that are granted each year. This limit is set by Immigration New Zealand, and can vary depending on demand for the visa.
Q: How much does the Silver Fern Visa cost?
A: The cost of the Silver Fern Visa depends on the category that you are applying for. Currently, the fee is NZD $475 for the Silver Fern Job Search Visa and NZD $2,500 for the Silver Fern Practical Experience Visa.