L1 visas are a sought-after visas for those trying to work in the US for a foreign company. With the L1 visa, employees can work in the US on behalf of their foreign employer. Upon arriving in the United States, L1 visa holders are required to apply for Social Security Number (SSN) to be able to work and receive benefits in the United States. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about L1 Visa Social Security Numbers.
- L1 visa holders are required to apply for Social Security Number to be able to work and receive benefits in the US.
- L1 visa holders are required to provide a written statement from their US employer verifying their employment status.
- The process of applying for a social security number for L1 visa holders can be time-consuming, but there are no fees associated with applying for SSN.
- Once the application is successful, L1 visa holders will be issued a Social Security Card, and the SSN will be used for tax purposes and other benefits.
Who can apply for Social Security Number?
Anyone who is authorized to work in the US can apply for Social Security Number (SSN). L1 visa holders, like other non-immigrant visa holders, are eligible to apply for SSN once they arrive in the United States.
How to apply for Social Security Number?
To apply for SSN, L1 visa holders need to visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) office in person, as the application process cannot be completed online. They are required to bring the following documents:
- Valid L1 visa and I-94 arrival/departure record
- Passport and a second form of ID (e.g., driver’s license)
- Written statement from their US employer, verifying employment status
- Completed SS-5 application form
It is recommended to schedule an appointment with the SSA office before visiting as it can help reduce the waiting time.
What benefits L1 visa holders get from Social Security Number?
L1 visa holders get the same benefits from SSN as US citizens. The Social Security Administration uses the SSN to keep track of an individual’s income and contributions to Social Security. The SSN is also used for tax purposes, and L1 visa holders can use it to file federal income tax returns.
In addition, the SSN is required to access other benefits such as:
- Applying for a driver’s license
- Opening a bank account
- Obtaining a credit card
- Applying for loans, mortgages, or other forms of credit
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can L1 visa holders apply for SSN before arriving in the US?
No. L1 visa holders are required to apply for SSN once they arrive in the US.
Q: Can L1 visa holders apply for SSN if they have a valid SSN from a previous visit?
No. If an L1 visa holder has a valid SSN from a previous visit, they do not need to apply for a new one. However, if they do not have a SSN or if their SSN has expired, they will need to apply for a new one.
Q: Is there a fee associated with applying for Social Security Number?
No. There are no fees associated with applying for SSN.
Q: How long does it take to get a Social Security Card after submitting the application?
The Social Security Card typically arrives by mail within two weeks after the application is successful.
Q: Can L1 visa holders apply for a Social Security Number for their dependents?
Yes. L1 visa holders can apply for SSN for their spouse and dependent children. A separate application is required for each family member.