If you are a professional from Canada or Mexico and want to work in the United States, then you might have heard about the TN Visa 1099. It is a non-immigrant visa that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the U.S. in specific professional occupations. In this article, you will learn about the eligibility requirements, application process, benefits, and risks of TN Visa 1099.
- TN Visa 1099 is a non-immigrant visa that allows Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the United States.
- The TN Visa 1099 is only available to individuals applying for specific professional occupations.
- The application process for TN Visa 1099 is generally straightforward.
- TN Visa 1099 provides numerous benefits and some risks.
To be eligible for TN Visa 1099 you must:
- Be a citizen of Canada or Mexico
- Have a pre-arranged job offer from a U.S. employer
- The job must be on the list of eligible professions
- Possess the necessary qualifications for the job role
- The position must be full-time
The TN Visa 1099 is only applicable to specific professions. There are over 60 eligible professions that you can find on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. Some of these professions include:
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Medical and Health Services Manager
To apply for TN Visa 1099, you need to follow these steps:
Step 1: Job Offer
Before applying for a TN Visa 1099, you must receive a job offer. The job offer should be in the field of the eligible profession.
Step 2: Gather Required Documents
You need to gather the necessary documents before submitting your application. Some of the documents that you will need include:
- Proof of Canadian or Mexican citizenship
- Job offer letter – the letter should be from your prospective U.S. employer and must include details of your job role and duties
- Educational qualifications – you will need to provide evidence of your education in the form of transcripts or certificates.
Step 3: Complete the Online Application
You can submit the TN Visa 1099 application online using the Electronic Visa Application. Make sure to enter all the details accurately and truthfully.
Step 4: Submit the Application
Once you complete the application form, pay the required fee, and submit your application, you will receive a confirmation receipt. Make sure to save this receipt, as you will need it to track your application’s progress.
Step 5: Attend the Interview
If your application passes the initial review stage, you will be invited for an interview at the U.S. consulate/embassy in Canada or Mexico. At the interview, the consular officer will ask you questions about your qualifications, job offer, and intentions to stay temporarily in the U.S.
Benefits of TN Visa 1099
There are several benefits of TN Visa 1099, including:
- TN Visa 1099 is less expensive and less complicated to obtain compared to H-1B visa.
- TN Visa 1099 allows the applicant’s spouse and dependents to accompany them to the U.S.
- TN Visa 1099 is issued for three years and is renewable, meaning you can remain in the U.S. for an extended period as long as your employment is still valid.
Risks of TN Visa 1099
Although TN Visa 1099 is an excellent opportunity for Canadian and Mexican citizens to work in the U.S., it has several risks, including:
- Lack of Permanent Residency: The TN Visa is a temporary visa and does not provide a direct path to a green card.
- Job Security: The TN Visa 1099 is employer-specific, meaning that you cannot change employers easily. If you lose your job, you will have to leave the United States.
- Visa Denial: Your visa application can be denied if you fail to meet the eligibility requirements or provide inaccurate information on the application
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I apply for TN Visa 1099 from within the United States?
A: No, you cannot apply for TN Visa 1099 from within the United States. You can only apply from the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in Canada or Mexico.
Q: Can I travel outside of the United States with a TN Visa 1099?
A: Yes, as long as your visa is valid, you can leave and re-enter the United States.
Q: Is it possible to change my job position while holding TN Visa 1099?
A: Yes, but you will need to apply for a new visa if the new position is not on the eligible profession list.
TN Visa 1099 is an excellent opportunity for Canadian and Mexican professionals to work temporarily in the United States. However, it is important to understand the eligibility requirements, application process, benefits, and risks before applying. Make sure to consult an immigration attorney if you have any doubts or questions regarding this visa.