Truck Driver Jobs in the USA with Visa Sponsorship: A Complete Guide

For many, truck driving is a great career path. However, if you’re an international driver and looking to get a truck driving job in the USA, it can be intimidating to navigate the visa application process. Fortunately, many trucking companies in the US are willing to sponsor and hire internationally trained drivers.

In this guide, we’ll provide insights and tips to help potential truck drivers find jobs and secure visas in the USA.

Key Takeaways:

  • Many trucking companies in the USA are willing to sponsor and hire international truck drivers.
  • To qualify for a truck driving job in the USA, professional driving experience and a commercial driver’s license (CDL) may be required.
  • The US trucking industry has a high demand for truck drivers and provides competitive pay and benefits.
  • It’s essential to understand the visa application process, and the different visa types available for international truck drivers.

Finding Trucking Companies Offering Visa Sponsorships

When looking for trucking companies offering visa sponsorships, you can start by searching online job postings. Websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and are great resources to find CDL truck driving jobs that offer visa sponsorships. Additionally, many trucking companies have programs specifically aimed at hiring international drivers.

See also  UCM Visa Acceptance Rate: A Comprehensive Guide for International Students

Some of the well-known trucking companies known to sponsor visas include FedEx, Schneider National, Knight Transportation, Averitt Express, and Western Express.

Qualifying for a Truck Driving Job in the USA

To qualify for a truck driving job in the USA, companies typically require candidates to have professional driving experience and a commercial driver’s license (CDL). The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) mandates that drivers must be at least 21 years old, have a valid US driver’s license, and complete a CDL training program.

Moreover, candidates must meet physical and mental requirements, including passing a drug and alcohol test, a physical exam, and meeting weight and visual acuity standards.

Visa Sponsorship Application Process

There are different types of visas available for international truck drivers. The most common visa types are the H-1B visa and TN visa.

The H-1B visa is for highly skilled workers, while the TN visa is open to Canadian and Mexican nationals for specific jobs in the US. To apply for a visa, the sponsoring employer must file the application with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The process can be lengthy, taking up to four months for approval, so starting the process as soon as possible is recommended.

Job Outlook for International Truck Drivers

The US trucking industry has a high demand for drivers, with an estimated shortage of over 60,000 drivers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report on truck driving as a career states that the trucking industry is expected to grow by 6% over the next ten years, providing job security and consistent demand.

See also  The Ultimate Guide to Bank Certificates for Visa Applications

Moreover, truck driving jobs offer competitive pay and benefits. The average salary for a truck driver in the USA is approximately $48,000 per year, with many trucking companies providing healthcare and retirement benefits.


Getting a truck driving job in the USA as an international driver can be challenging, but with enough preparation and research, it is achievable. Finding trucking companies that offer visa sponsorships, qualifying for a truck driving job, and understanding the visa application process are essential in making your application successful.

With the US trucking industry’s high demand for drivers and competitive pay and benefits, truck driving is a great career path worth pursuing.


Q. What other visa types are available for international truck drivers?

A. In addition to the H-1B and TN visas, international drivers can apply for the L-1 visa for intra-company transferees, the E-1 or E-2 visa for treaty traders and investors, or the O-1 visa for individuals with extraordinary abilities.

Q. How long does the visa application process take?

A. The process can take up to four months for approval, so starting the application process as early as possible is recommended.

Q. What are the size and weight requirements for driving a truck in the USA?

A. In the USA, commercial truck sizes are limited to 102 inches wide and 13.5 feet tall. The maximum weight allowed is 80,000 pounds.

About the Author

Raymond Broady

Raymond is immigration attorney based in Los Angeles, California. He has a law degree from Harvard University and has been practicing immigration law for over two decades. Raymond is passionate about helping clients navigate the complexities of the US immigration system, and he shares his knowledge and expertise on the blog. His articles are informative and detailed, providing readers with valuable insights into US immigration policies and procedures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *