Understanding Employer Visas for International Workers

Employer visas are an essential component of the international workforce. Employers who want to hire foreign workers need to obtain an employer sponsored visa, also known as an employment visa. These visas allow international workers to be legally employed in a foreign country, and it is usually the employer’s responsibility to apply for and sponsor the visa on behalf of their foreign employees. In this article, we will discuss different types of employer visas and provide valuable insights to help employers with the visa process.

Key Takeaways

  • Employer visas allow international workers to be legally employed in a foreign country.
  • There are different types of employer visas based on the skills, qualifications and the employer’s specific needs.
  • Employers need to sponsor the visa on behalf of their foreign employees.
  • The visa application process involves a lot of paperwork and requires attention to detail.

Types of Employer Visas

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is a popular employment visa in the United States, which is granted to highly skilled workers who have a bachelor’s degree or higher. Employers who want to hire H-1B employees must first file a Labor Condition Application with the Department of Labor, outlining the job requirements and wages. Once approved, the employer can file the H-1B petition on behalf of the employee.

See also  The Complete Guide to H1A Visa: Everything You Need to Know

L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows multinational companies to transfer employees from overseas to their U.S. offices. Unlike the H-1B visa, which is granted to individuals, L-1 visas are granted to companies. To qualify for an L-1 visa, the employee must have worked for the company for at least one year.

TN Visa

The TN visa was created under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to allow Canadian and Mexican professionals to work in the United States. To qualify for a TN visa, the employee must work in a specific occupation listed in the NAFTA agreement.

E Visa

The E visa is designed for investors and businesspeople who want to operate a business in the United States. The E-2 visa is granted to individuals from countries that have a treaty with the United States, allowing them to develop and direct a business in the U.S. For the E-2 visa, the investor must have a controlling interest in the U.S. company.

Sponsorship Requirements for Employer Visas

Employers must match specific criteria before they can sponsor an employment visa. An employer must offer a job that meets the minimum requirements for the visa type. They must also provide prevailing wages to their foreign workers, meaning wages must be similar to those of U.S. workers in the same field.

Employers must also provide the necessary paperwork, including copies of degrees, employment contracts, and other supporting documentation. The visa application process involves a lot of paperwork, and it’s essential for employers to ensure they provide accurate information and check the forms thoroughly.

See also  Schools That Sponsor H1B Visa for Teachers in 2023: A Comprehensive List


Employer visas are essential for international workers, and it is the employer’s responsibility to obtain a work visa for their foreign workers. By having a better understanding of the different types of visas and the process involved, employers can make informed decisions and avoid issues down the road.


How long does it take to get an employer visa?

The time it takes to obtain an employer visa varies based on the visa type and the country of origin of the employee. In general, it may take several months to process an employer visa application, so it’s essential to plan ahead.

How much does it cost to sponsor an employment visa?

The cost of sponsoring an employment visa depends on the type of visa and the complexity of the visa application. Employers should budget for the costs associated with visa applications, which may include lawyers’ fees, government filing fees and expenses associated with translating documents.

About the Author

Clifford Thompson

Clifford is a 33-year-old Asian-American travel blogger based in Seattle, Washington. He has a degree in computer science and has traveled to over 30 countries across six continents. Clifford is experienced in navigating the visa and passport application process and shares his knowledge and insights on the blog. His articles are informative and engaging, providing readers with practical advice and recommendations for international travel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *